Gethsemane United Methodist Church has a long history in the Lake Country with its beginning in the Village of Pewaukee in 1839. The first church building was erected in 1870, and the congregation stayed at that location until 1959, when it moved to its present home. In 2004, a major renovation was done to meet the church’s current and expected needs.
Presently, there are more than 400 professing members and many friends that carry forward the heritage and work of Gethsemane.
The word “Gethsemane” means several things.
First, it means a garden — a place of beauty and growing things, recalling the spot where Jesus went the night he was betrayed.
Second, Gethsemane means a place of prayer, for it was in Gethsemane “that Jesus prayed to meet his final resting time.”
Finally, Gethsemane means a commitment to do God’s will and serve other people.
May we all enjoy the rare beauty of this place of worship, view and grounds. May we come regularly to pray and worship, not only during the Sunday services, but for personal meditation during the week. Let us be willing to give ourselves in effective service for Christ in meeting the real Christian challenges in our community and world.